Assist with the implementation and/or review of accounting policies, new accounting standards, and complex transactions for correct accounting and disclosure.
75% Technical Accounting
• Monitor and ensure timely identification and compliance with evolving accounting guidance, provide US GAAP interpretation and prepare technical memorandums that document issues in a clear, logical, and comprehensive manner.
• Complete quarterly disclosure checklist in conjunction with full review of 10Q/10K
• Prepare and review technical accounting position papers
• Develop, draft, and codify current accounting policy documents to improve clarity and consistency.
• Evaluate need for new or changed controls and/or procedures; make recommendations for such changes to management as necessary
• Ensure that complex transactions are properly supported and classified in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
• Interface with all levels across the company to ensure complete set of facts and circumstances are known for formulating an opinion on an accounting matter
• Assist in research of accounting issues related to complex or non-standard transactions
• Provide guidance to various departments on the implementation of new accounting guidelines and/or policies and complex or non-standard transactions. Creates, implements and maintains comprehensive accounting policy documents to improve clarity and consistency
• Participate in projects as required
25% Financial Reporting and Analysis
• Assist in the review of quarterly and annual reports on Form 10-Q/K.
• Review information and schedules provided by various departments in support of external reporting.
• Manage communications with external auditors on external financial statements and accounting issues to ensure auditor agreement with company decisions on accounting disclosures and issues.
• Implement and maintain reporting procedures to comply with internal control requirements.
• Bachelor Degree in Accounting or a related discipline. Master’s preferred.
• 6 years’ experience in public accounting or technical accounting at a large public company
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Proven Technical Accounting Skills
• Proven ability to form an opinion on relevant accounting guidance
• Detail orientated
• Ability to influence others and present a compelling argument
• Problem Solving
• Drive for Results
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Experience in Microsoft Excel.
• CPA is required.
Who we are. What we do.
We’re more than North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. We are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters who are devoted to the communities where we live and work. We are more than 20,000 dedicated individuals who provide caring assistance to families in need, honor veterans and public servants and deliver lifesaving programs to help keep children and seniors safe.
We operate under the umbrella of the Dignity Memorial network of 1,800 funeral homes and cemeteries. Dignity Memorial providers care for more than 300,000 families each year and understand the importance of thoughtful, personalized arrangements. We believe creating meaningful ways to pay tribute to a loved one begins with compassion and is shaped by the understanding that each life is truly unique. For us, there is no greater responsibility than honoring and preserving the story of one’s life.
SCI offers advanced on-line training resources, career advancement opportunities in the largest organization in the industry, attractive benefits, and a wonderful community to serve with plenty of culture and personality. For additional information regarding our company, please visit our corporate site at www.sci-corp.com.
As used herein, “SCI” refers to Service Corporation International and its affiliated companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V